Friday, January 18, 2008

Awareness of Copyright -- My images stolen!

I think it’s important to bring awareness to photographers on copyright issues.

I recently had another photographer (Jaime) in Ontario steal five of my images and post them on her website as her own. She did not have my permission to do so. Jaime and I live in the same province and another photographer from our province recognized the images to be mine so she of course called to inform me of the issue.

I had a friend take screen captures (shown bleow) of Jaime’s website as soon as I was off the phone as I was in transit. When I got home I had the advice of many helpful photographers as how I should go about this issue. Just hours later I emailed her a letter and invoice for photography stock fees. She had taken my images down that night as well as many other images, her phone number and the information to the bridal show she is hosting (http://www.brockvilleareabridalshow.com/) this Saturday in Brockville. However, she did not reply to me. I then sent the same letter and invoice by registered mail and still she has not replied to me.
My images that were stolen by Jaime were not stamped with my logo as I took the images before I started stamping. I want to stress how important it is to other photographers that we stamp our work to avoid situations like this.

Here are the screen captures taken of Jaime’s website. Anyone that knows my work already knows those images to be mine as I posted them on my blog here in July of 2007.

Note that I have removed her website address from these screen captures:

All of these images were taken by Jenna Simpson of About Image photograpy


As advised I went to the media and my story was printed today in the Trentonian.


The image from the article (shown below) in the paper is of me, holding the photo that I took of model Allana Raby on July 3, 2007. In the background on my lap top is one of the screen captures taken of Jaime's website with my image on her site.

I do work very hard as a business women and photographer to let Jaime think it is ok to steal my images and I will do nothing about it. She has been given 30 days to pay for the photography stock fees before I take legal action.

14 comments:

Danna said...

Jenna,

It is so good that you are standing up for yourself. This happens far too often. It is time that thes people realize that they can not get away with this, eventually they will be caught and they will pay teh consequences.
good for you :-)

Danna

Anonymous said...

Wow...that is completely unacceptable! I am so glad that someone saw this and reported it to you so that you are able to take action and stand up for yourself and for what is right.:o)I have always admired your work and your professionalism.

Shannon said...

I tried clicking on her bridal show site she has disabled it now. I guess she is running scared!!

Gerri Photography said...

Absolutely unbelievable! I would be running fast if I had booked a wedding with a photog who tried to pass off someone elses work as her own. Good for you for bringing the situation to light. How this 'fauxtographer' deals with the fallout of her bad judgement will make the difference between whether or not she has a career in the future....hopefully she owns up to her mistake, and learns from it. She can't be you just by stealing your images. ;)

YCM the blog... said...

im sorry this happened to you
but i am so glad that you are pressing charges and standing up for yourself as well as other photographers...
this happens all the time.
i feel bad for any of her clients that think they are getting that type of work and might be getting something completely different
keep us updated

Steven Kang said...

Sorry to hear you have to spend time dealing with this situation.
However it is great that you are standing up for what is yours.
I agree with gerri photography comment. Jaime can't be you by stealing your images. Jaime should practice practice practice and make her own images.

sherry boles~ said...

It never ceases to amaze me that people would be so rude as to claim someone's work as their own!
I'm sorry that this happened to you...but it's wonderful to see you creating a positive out of this negative. I appreciate your actions to call attention to this injustice! Way to Go!
You've got the support of MANY photographers behind you!! :)

Colleen @AMadisonMom said...

Good for you for taking action. Please let us know how it turns out.

Anonymous said...

Jenna, your work is too amazing and unique for anyone to ever think they'd get away with something like this. I hope everything gets cleared up soon!

Tiffany said...

That is so frustrating!! I am so sorry that has happened to you!!! I guess I need to learn how to stamp my images!! Would you tell me how to stamp??
Good luck with all of this and keep us posted!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is just crazy! I can't believe someone would do such a thing and think they could get away with it. That is good that someone seen them on her website and she got caught.

Amy (3 Peas) said...

That's so insane..... she was not only stealing from you- but misrepresenting her own work! Kudos to you also for your professional response.
Watermarking is SO important- thanks for reminding others so they can avoid this type of crap.

MattDJ said...

WOW Jenna, I came here to check out your latest work and here you've got an absolutely essential post for photographers everywhere! Good for you to pursue it as you have. I've often wondered whether or not to include my business name on photos. You've pretty much sealed that up for me.

Keep it up Jenna!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Good for you! You work hard at what you do. You must have been, pissed, shocked and mad as hell and violated that some one ripped you off like that. I applaud your efforts. And your blogging about it.
We all need to protect ourselves.
marc w.
www.studiobuzz.net