Friday, October 23, 2009

images impact people

In photography I am creating on an ongoing basis. I love this part of my job. Every week, month, year, I get to create, literally thousands of images. In addition to that, I create images that impact peoples lives.

Recently, one of my clients past away. The sister of my client emailed me saying how beautiful it was to have photos of her sister and her family (husband and three kids) that we took earlier this year in studio. The family had enlarged prints from the studio to display at the funeral. She went on to say that everyone loved the images, they brought tears to some friends and family members, and that the family was thankful for the images, thankful that her sister thought to do this before passing.

After wiping away tears, I then started thinking how few images I have of my own family. And then I thought of the families I have photographed that come in for their first family portrait session ever, or the first portrait session in 10 years. And then I thought of my clients that come in yearly and some several times a year and wondered how I could let something so important to me be put off. I have never had a professional photo of my son and I. Isn't that unbelievable?!! My mother has been asking for a photograph of her grandchildren for over two years, and I haven't done it yet.

If you were to come to my house, you would never know I am a photographer because I only have three images canvased of my son and I snowboarding, a few framed images, and a lot of bare walls!

This year is coming to an end and I need to take care of this:
1. book a photographer to photograph my son and I
2. get my mother her image
3. fill my wall space

Anyone else out there not have a family portrait, get out there and photograph your families!!!

3 comments:

Gerri Photography said...

I totally agree...I want to do that too. I'll do yours if you do mine? :)

heather said...

jenna, that is the wisest thing i have heard in a long time, i did get a lot of ppics with my dad and now its to late. everyone needs lots of family pics. heather

Ashley Rae said...

That's very touching Jenna. Amazing that you were able to capture the smiles for that family.

I agree, you need to get in front of the camera once in awhile too :)